HR and Workplace Safety: California
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Leanne Coffman
- California is a State Plan state. See State Plan.
- The state operates a targeted inspection and consultation program, which monitors, assists and inspects employers with a high number of nonfatal lost time incidents. See The Division of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH).
- California has safety standards that are more protective than federal standards. See Cal/OSHA Compliance Requirements.
- California lists additional reporting requirements apart from the federal requirements. See Recordkeeping and Reporting Requirements for Accidents and Injuries.
- California has a complicated policy regarding drug and alcohol testing, including post-accident testing. See Drug and Alcohol Testing as a Safety Measure.