Legally Required Benefits: Alabama
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Robert S. Ellerbrock, III, Constangy, Brooks & Smith, LLP
- Unemployment insurance is a program created to provide partial wage replacement to unemployed workers while they conduct an active search for work. See Alabama Unemployment Insurance.
- Unemployment insurance is a joint federal-state program based on federal law and executed through state law. See Alabama Unemployment Insurance.
- Alabama has some unique eligibility criteria and claimants must meet certain requirements in order to be eligible for unemployment benefits. See Eligibility for Benefits.
- Under certain circumstances, workers may not qualify for unemployment benefits. See Disqualification for Benefits.
- Employers are required to maintain certain records. See Recordkeeping Requirements.
- Employers must post an unemployment insurance notice. See Posting Requirement.