EEO - Discrimination: Rhode Island
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Authors: Brian J. Lamoureux, William E. O'Gara and Matthew C. Reeber, Pannone Lopes Devereaux & West, LLC
- Discrimination claims are covered by the State Fair Employment Practices Act (FEPA). See Discrimination Under the State Fair Employment Practices Act.
- Employers with fewer than four employees are not subject to FEPA. See Employers.
- There is individual liability under FEPA. See Individual Liability.
- Discrimination claims are also governed by the Rhode Island Civil Rights Act of 1990 (RICRA) which provides broad protection against all forms of discrimination in all phases of employment. See Discrimination Under Rhode Island Civil Rights Act of 1990.
- Providence has requirements pertaining to discrimination. See Local Requirements.