Health Care Continuation (COBRA): Wisconsin
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Elizabeth A. McDuffie, Gonzalez Saggio & Harlan LLP
- Wisconsin's health care continuation statute (Wisconsin COBRA) applies to employers of any size, but contains requirements that employees must meet in order to be eligible for the specified benefits. See Applicability; Eligibility.
- Group health care plans must extend continued health insurance coverage to employees and their families who lose coverage due to certain qualifying events. See Continuation Rights.
- The notice and election requirements found in Wisconsin COBRA are more restrictive than those for federal COBRA and do not provide a grace period for paying premiums. See Required Notice; Election.
- An individual's continuation coverage will terminate under Wisconsin COBRA if one of a number of circumstances takes place, which differ significantly from the federal equivalent. See Termination.
- Wisconsin group health policies generally must include conversion coverage. See Conversion Rights.