HR and Workplace Safety: New York
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Leanne Coffman, The Safety Training Solution LLC
- New York operates under the jurisdiction of federal OSHA for private and federal employers. See State Plan.
- The New York Health and Essential Rights Act (NY HERO Act) requires employers with worksites in New York State, regardless of size, to implement an airborne infectious disease exposure prevention plan. See New York Health and Essential Rights Act.
- An employer may face criminal penalties for an employee's serious physical injury or death. See Penalties for Serious Physical Injuries and Fatalities.
- New York strictly enforces and bans texting and the use of electronic handheld devices while driving. See Driving Policies.
- Drug testing standards exist for workers in safety sensitive areas in New York. See Drug and Alcohol Testing as a Safety Measure.