EEO - Discrimination: Alabama
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: J. Day Peake III, Phelps Dunbar LLP
- Age discrimination is one area that is specifically protected under state statute. It is important to be aware of how the Alabama law may affect employment practices. See Alabama Age Discrimination in Employment Act.
- Age is also protected with regard to apprenticeship and training programs. See Apprenticeship Age Protection.
- Private employers in Alabama may apply a veterans preference in employment. See Veterans Preference.
- Alabama permits a nursing mother to breastfeed her child in any location, public or private, where the mother is otherwise authorized to be present. See Lactation/Breastfeeding Protections and Accommodations.
- Alabama law prohibits wage discrimination based on sex and race. The law also prohibits retaliation against applicants for refusing to provide their wage history. See Equal Pay and Wage History Inquiries.