Other Leaves: Florida
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Kamilah L. Perry, Phelps Dunbar, LLP
- Florida law provides various leaves in addition to those leaves granted by the federal government. See Florida - Leaves of Absence.
- Florida currently does not require state family and medical leave for employees of private sector employers. See Family and Medical Leave.
- In Florida, victims of domestic violence or sexual violence are entitled to employment leave in order to obtain medical care and/or mental health counseling. See Domestic Violence and Crime Victim Leave
- Florida employers may not terminate an employee for an employee's jury service or for attendance in connection with such service. See Jury Duty and Witness Protection Leave.
- Florida law prohibits both public and private employers from terminating or otherwise discriminating against any individual for taking a leave of absence to serve in the US armed forces. See Military Leave.