Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: John Murray, Lindner & Marsack, S.C.
- Wisconsin law contains provisions relating to military leave that apply to all employers, regardless of size. Many of these provisions extend the protections created by USERRA to employees who are not covered by the federal law. See Wisconsin Military Leave.
- Wisconsin protects individuals from discrimination and retaliation because of active service or their membership in the military. See Prohibitions on Retaliation and Discrimination.
- Wisconsin protects service members from losing a professional license, from the immediate burdens of property taxes, and from the obligations of cell phone contracts during active service. See Extension of Licenses for Servicemembers; Relief from Property Taxes and Relief from Cell Phone Contract Obligations.
- Some Wisconsin cities have adopted ordinances that prohibit discrimination based upon an individual's past or present membership in the military or less than honorable discharge. See Local Ordinances
- Wisconsin's protections of servicemembers extend to servicemembers employed by the public sector. See Public Employees.