San Diego Paid Sick Leave Law Takes Effect
Author: Gloria Ju
Implementation Date: July 11, 2016
All employers must provide paid sick leave to employees who work in San Diego at least two hours in one or more calendar weeks. An employee accrues one hour of paid sick leave for every 30 hours worked in the city beginning July 11, 2016, or when employment begins, whichever is later.
An employee may take up to 40 hours of paid sick leave in a year for:
- An injury, illness or medical condition;
- Professional diagnosis or treatment;
- Other medical reasons, such as pregnancy;
- Reasons related to domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking; and
- Workplace, school or daycare closures due to a public health emergency.