What types of visas allow for exemption from FICA?

Author: Ryan F. Donovan

The four common ones are F, J, M and Q visas, with the two most common of those types being F-1 and J-1 visas, student and cultural exchange respectively. An employee requesting exemption from FICA taxes should provide proof of his or her active visa status before the tax exemption is allowed.