Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Elizabeth A. Roussel, Adams and Reese LLP
- Louisiana employers may recruit and hire consistently with affirmative action plans. See Affirmative Action.
- Louisiana law limits the right of employers to bring 'strikebreakers' into the state and to recruit or hire employees to replace strikers or employees on lockout. See Labor Relations.
- The state imposes special prerequisites to hiring minors. See Hiring Minors.
- Louisiana law makes it illegal to recruit undocumented workers with violators subject to potential monetary penalties. See Unauthorized Aliens.
- Louisiana employer may not discriminate with respect to recruiting, hiring or other personnel actions because a person is a smoker. See Smokers' Rights.
- Employers should be aware that a new law gives a hiring preference to Louisiana residents living in coastal zones for certain public works projects. See First Hiring Act.