Child Labor: Iowa
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Authors: Stuart R. Buttrick and Susan W. Kline, Faegre Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
- Iowa regulates the employment of minors under age 18.
- Iowa law explicitly limits the types of occupations in which minors can work, depending on their ages. See Prohibited Occupations.
- Minors' available work hours are limited depending on their ages. See Hours of Work.
- Employers must provide certain minors with 30-minute breaks. See Break Periods.
- Iowa may grant exceptions from the occupation prohibitions or hours of work limitations for 16- and 17-year-olds participating in certain work-based learning or other work-related programs under certain conditions. See Students, Interns and Apprentices.