Child Labor: North Carolina
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Connie Carrigan, Smith Debnam Narron Drake Saintsing & Myers, LLP
- North Carolina's Wage and Hour Act regulates the employment of minors under 18 years of age.
- In addition to the hazardous occupations prohibited by federal law, North Carolina specifies nine detrimental occupations in which minors may not be employed. See Prohibited Occupations.
- Minors' available work hours are limited depending on their ages. See Hours of Work.
- Employers must provide breaks to minors under 16 years of age. See Break Periods.
- Minors may not work without a youth employment certificate. See Employment Certificates.