EEO - Affirmative Action: Alaska
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Gloria Ju
- Private employers in Alaska are not required to establish affirmative action programs, but must comply with the Alaska Human Rights Law. See Private Employers.
- State contractors are also not required to establish affirmative action programs; however, they must commit in writing to complying with any applicable affirmative action legislation and regulations. See State Contractors.
- Preference in hiring may be given to economically disadvantaged minority or female residents. See State Contractors.
- Each agency within the executive branch of Alaska's government must adopt an affirmative action program. See Executive Branch.
- School districts that discriminate based on race or sex may be required to follow an affirmative action program. See Schools.