Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Kamilah L. Perry, Phelps Dunbar, LLP
- Actionable harassment under the Florida Civil Rights Act can be based on race, age, religion, national origin, disability or gender. See Harassment Under the Florida Civil Rights Act.
- Sexual harassment is a form of gender discrimination prohibited by the Florida Civil Rights Act. See Sexual Harassment.
- The Florida Civil Rights Act protects against two forms of sexual harassment: Tangible adverse employment action or quid pro quo harassment; and hostile work environment harassment. See Establishing a Claim of Harassment.
- Whether the harassment is sufficiently severe or pervasive enough to constitute a hostile work environment must pass both a subjective and objective test. See Establishing a Claim of Harassment.
- Localities including Key West, Miami-Dade County and Tampa have requirements pertaining to harassment.See Local Requirements.