Health Care Benefits: Alabama
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Robert S. Ellerbrock, III, Constangy, Brooks, Smith & Prophete, LLP
- Alabama chose not to establish a state-based Marketplace under the Affordable Care Act. See Health Insurance Marketplaces Under the ACA.
- Same-sex marriage is legal nationwide. See Same-Sex Partner Benefits.
- Group health policies in Alabama must include coverage for alcoholism treatment. See Alcoholism Treatment.
- Group health policies in Alabama are required to cover newborn children. See New Born Coverage.
- Group health plans that provide coverage for mastectomies are required to provide coverage for mammograms. See The Breast Cancer Screening Act.
- Group health policies in Alabama must offer benefits for mental health treatment. See Mandated Mental Health Treatment.
- Insurers are prohibited from discriminating against individuals for certain reasons. See Antidiscrimination Laws.