Health Care Benefits: Illinois
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Jayne Zanglein, Western Carolina University
- Illinois chose to establish a state-federal partnership Marketplace under the Affordable Care Act. See Health Insurance Marketplaces Under the ACA.
- Same-sex marriage is legal nationwide. Illinois also recognizes civil unions. See Same-Sex Partner Benefits.
- Illinois mandates apply to group health insurance plans and health maintenance organizations (HMOs), for employers covering more than two employees. See Scope of Mandates.
- Group health plans must provide health care coverage for certain medical services and treatments . See Required Coverage Provisions; Additional Required Coverage.
- Group health plans must provide mental health benefits and parity. See Mental Health Benefits and Parity.
- Group health plans must provide coverage for certain specified health providers. See Coverage for Specified Providers.
- An employer must comply with certain notice and disclosure requirements. See Notice and Disclosure Requirements.