Health Care Benefits: Maryland
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Jayne Zanglein, Western Carolina University
- Maryland chose to establish a state-based Marketplace under the Affordable Care Act. See Health Insurance Marketplaces Under the ACA.
- Maryland has taken steps to preserve certain benefits made available under the Affordable Care Act. See Preserving ACA Benefits.
- Same-sex marriage is legal nationwide. See Same-Sex Partner Benefits.
- Maryland health coverage mandates apply to commercial health insurance contracts, policies and plans, health maintenance organizations (HMOs) and nonprofit health service plans that provide hospital, medical, or surgical benefits. See Scope of Mandates.
- Group health plans that allow dependents to enroll must also cover newborns and certain other dependents. See Dependent Coverage.
- Maryland mandates health insurance coverage for certain medical services and treatments. See Required Coverage Provisions.
- Maryland prohibits employers from discriminating against an employee on the basis of information gained through the employee's participation in group medical coverage. See Discrimination Based on Medical Information.