Separation From Employment: Nebraska
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Marcia A. Washkuhn, Kutak Rock LLP
- Nebraska employers must comply with state law regarding payment of final wages. See Payment of Final Wages.
- Nebraska employers should familiarize themselves with what, exactly, are considered wages in order to ensure that they have fully compensated outgoing employees at the end of the employment cycle. See Definition of Wages.
- Certain fringe benefits may not be due to outgoing employees upon termination, depending on the facts and circumstances surrounding the employment relationship. See Payment of Fringe Benefits Upon Termination.
- Nebraska law requires unpaid commissions to be paid outgoing employees within a specific time period and subject to specific guidelines. See Unpaid Commissions.
- Nebraska employers may have to pay attorney's fees and up to two times the amount of unpaid wages if they fail to pay employees as required by Nebraska law. See Penalties for Untimely Payment.