Unemployment Insurance: South Dakota
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Gloria Ju
- Most employers in South Dakota are subject to the South Dakota unemployment compensation law. See Employer Coverage.
- Claimants must meet certain requirements in order to be eligible for unemployment benefits. See Employee Eligibility.
- Under certain circumstances, workers may not qualify for unemployment benefits. See Disqualification From Benefits.
- Unemployment benefits generally last up to 26 weeks. See Benefits.
- Employers will be notified when a former employee files a claim and will be asked to verify dates and the reason for separation. See Filing Claims.
- Employer must comply with certain notice, posting and recordkeeping requirements. See Notice and Posting Requirements; Recordkeeping Requirements.