Health Care Benefits: Iowa
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Authors: Stuart R. Buttrick and Susan W. Kline, Faegre Baker Daniels LLP
- Iowa chose to establish a state-federal partnership Marketplace under the Affordable Care Act. See Health Insurance Marketplaces Under the ACA.
- Same-sex marriage is legal nationwide. See Same-Sex Partner Benefits.
- Iowa law provides certain incentives for small employers who purchase health insurance for their employees. See Health Care Coverage for Small Employers.
- Iowa group health policies must provide coverage for mammograms. See Coverage for Mammograms.
- Iowa law requires certain coverage be provided to adopted children. See Coverage for Adopted Child.
- Iowa law imposes requirements with respect to coverage for pregnant mothers. See Maternity Coverage.
- Group health policies are required to provide emergency room services under certain circumstances. See Emergency Room Coverage.
- Group health policies must provide coverage for diabetes treatment. See Coverage for Diabetes Treatment.
- Iowa law prohibits discrimination against persons who are believed to use or purchase contraceptives. See Discrimination Against Contraceptive Drugs, Devices and Services.
- Group health policies must provide coverage for anesthesia and other hospital charges for dental care under certain circumstances. See Coverage for Anesthesia and Other Hospital Charges for Dental Care.
- Iowa law may require a group health policy to provide treatment for mental illness. See Coverage for Treatment of Biologically Based Mental Illness.
- Iowa law requires that coverage be provided for certain vaccinations, including HPV. See Coverage for Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) Vaccinations.
- Iowa law provides covered persons certain rights with respect to cancer treatment. See Cancer Treatment Coverage.
- Group health policies may sometimes be required to provide coverage for certain prosthetic devices. See Coverage for Prosthetic Devices.
- Iowa law requires certain coverage for mental illness and substance abuse treatment for veterans. See Coverage for Mental Illness and Substance Abuse Treatment for Veterans.
- Group health policies must provide coverage for autism and related disorders. See Coverage for Autism and Related Disorders.
- In addition to rights under Iowa health care coverage continuation law, Iowa law provides additional rights with respect to continuity of care for pregnancy and terminal illness. See Continuity of Care.