Health Care Benefits: New Mexico
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Patricia A. Morley, Research and Writing Associates, LLC
- New Mexico chose to establish a state-based Marketplace under the Affordable Care Act. See Health Insurance Marketplaces Under the ACA.
- Same-sex marriage is legal nationwide. See Same-Sex Partner Benefits.
- Group health plans in New Mexico must include coverage for certain maternity and dependent benefits. See Maternity and Dependent Coverage.
- Health plans in New Mexico must provide or offer coverage for mental health and alcohol dependency treatments. Coverage for Autism Spectrum Disorders is required. See Mental Health and Alcohol Dependence Coverage.
- Group health plans must provide coverage for specified providers. See Specified Providers.
- Health plans that cover mastectomies must also cover minimum hospital stays. See Mastectomy and Minimum Hospital Stays.
- Health plans must provide, or offer, coverage for certain other illnesses, diseases, services, and medical and surgical procedures. See Coverage for Diabetes; Tobacco Cessation; Contraceptive Services; Home Health Care; Colorectal, Occult Breast and Cervical Cancer Screenings; Clinical Trials for Cancer; Orally Administered Anti-Cancer Medications.
- Certain coverage with regard to children and dependents is mandatory. See Coverage for Children and Dependents.