Health Care Benefits: Washington
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Patricia A. Morley, Research and Writing Associates, LLC
- Washington chose to establish a state-based Marketplace under the Affordable Care Act. See Health Insurance Marketplaces Under the ACA.
- Washington has taken steps to preserve certain benefits made available under the Affordable Care Act. See Preserving ACA Benefits.
- Same-sex marriage is legal nationwide. See Same-Sex Partner Benefits.
- Group health plans in Washington must include coverage for certain maternity and dependent benefits. See Maternity and Newborn/Adopted Child Coverage.
- Health plans in Washington must offer coverage for mental health and chemical dependency treatments. See Mental Health and Chemical Dependency Coverage.
- Health plans that cover mastectomies must also cover reconstructive breast surgery. See Reconstructive Breast Surgery.
- Health plans must provide coverage for certain other illnesses, diseases and services. See Diabetes Coverage; Cancer Screening Coverage; Emergency Treatment.
- Certain coverage for children and dependents must be provided. See Coverage for Children and Dependents.