Minimum Wage: Alaska
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Gloria Ju
- The Alaska Wage and Hour Act sets the state's minimum wage higher than the federal rate. See Overview.
- Employers may make deductions from employees' wages under certain circumstances. See Deductions Above the Minimum Wage.
- Under certain circumstances, employers may make deductions for board and lodging, uniforms and equipment, and transportation from the place of hire to the place of employment. See Deductions Below the Minimum Wage.
- However, the tip credit does not apply in Alaska. See Tip Credit.
- Student learners and apprentices may be employed at rates lower than the minimum wage. See Subminimum Wage.