Minimum Wage: California
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Jennifer K. Achtert, formerly of Fisher Phillips
Updating Author: XpertHR Editorial Team
- Almost all employees in California must be paid the state or local minimum wage for all hours worked. See Minimum Wage.
- There are some exemptions to the minimum wage, but those exemptions are not the same as under federal law. See Exemptions.
- Employers must be particularly careful to avoid taking credits and deductions that are permitted under federal law, but not under California law. See Tip Credit; Deductions Below the Minimum Wage.
- There are special minimum wage requirements for fast food workers and health care workers. See Fast Food Worker Minimum Wage and Health Care Worker Minimum Wage.
- Localities including Los Angeles, San Diego and San Jose have requirements pertaining to the minimum wage. See Local Requirements.