Employee Privacy: Virginia
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Jessica Sussman
- Virginia recognizes invasion of privacy torts. See Invasion of Privacy.
- Virginia law requires one party to the conversation consent for the contents may be recorded. See Telephone and Other Wire Surveillance (Wiretapping).
- There are restrictions on videotaping employees in Virginia. See Video Surveillance.
- An employee may search an employee under certain circumstances. See Search and Seizure.
- Virginia law restricts inquiries into an applicant's background. See Background Checks.
- Virginia employers are required to inform employees of breaches to the security of employee data. See Security Breaches
- Virginia law protects the social media privacy of employees and applicants. See Social Media Privacy