Minimum Wage: Minnesota
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Dorraine Larison, Gray Plant Mooty
Updating Author: Michael Cardman, XpertHR Legal Editor
- The minimum wage rate in Minnesota varies depending on the size of the employer. See Minimum Wage.
- Employers may make deductions from an employee's wages, as long as the deductions do not reduce the wages below the minimum wage, for certain expenses. See Deductions Above the Minimum Wage.
- Employers may make deductions from an employee's wage, even if the deductions bring the employee's wage below the minimum wage, for child support, board and lodging, union dues, insurance contributions and certain other expenses. See Deductions Below the Minimum Wage.
- Some employees may be paid less than the minimum wage under certain circumstances. See Subminimum Wages.
- Minneapolis has local minimum wage requirements. See Local Minimum Wages.