The pace of employment law developments at the local level has dramatically escalated with the topics becoming increasingly complex. XpertHR tracks and covers these developments across more than 140 localities, listed below.
Depending on the particulars of the locality's ordinances, the links will typically result in the following types of resources provided by XpertHR:
- Compliance deadlines (in the Legal Timetable tool);
- Full summary and analysis of the ordinance and its requirements (in the Employment Law Manual);
- Employee Handbook statements for key local ordinances (in the Employee Handbook tool);
- Poster and notice landing pages (in Policies and Documents tool); and
- Comparative information with other states and localities for key topics (in 50-state Charts tool).
The most common employment law ordinance topics among the localities include:
- Minimum wage;
- Paid sick leave; and
- Flexible and predictable scheduling.
Important: Many states have been responding to these local trends by adopting so-called preemption laws that prevent or override any local laws. Each preemption law stipulates the topics that are preempted from local mandates. States with preemption laws, and the topics preempted, are summarized in Municipal Preemption Laws by State.
In some cases, there may be other local ordinances that affect your business that are not covered on XpertHR. Check with your local city and county governments as to whether any local ordinances might apply to your business.