Drugs, Alcohol and Smoking: District of Columbia
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: XpertHR Editorial Team
- District of Columbia employers may implement drug-free workplace policies. See Drugs and Alcohol.
- Employers may prohibit marijuana use in the workplace even though medical and recreational use is legal in the District. See Marijuana.
- Employers may implement and enforce policies that prohibit the use, sale, possession, distribution, purchase and cultivation of drugs and alcohol in the workplace. See Drug and Alcohol Policies.
- Private employers in the District are not prohibited from conducting drug and alcohol testing in the workplace. See Testing.
- Smoking is prohibited in any public or private workplace. See Smoking.
- An employer must post signs indicating where smoking is prohibited and permitted. See Postings.
- Employers are required to have a written smoking policy. See Smoking Policies.