Drugs, Alcohol and Smoking: Maine
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: XpertHR Editorial Team
- Maine employers may implement drug-free workplace policies. See Drugs and Alcohol.
- Employers may prohibit use of medical and recreational marijuana in the workplace. See Marijuana.
- Employers may implement and enforce policies that prohibit the use, sale, possession, distribution, purchase and cultivation of drugs and alcohol in the workplace. See Drug and Alcohol Policies.
- Employers that choose to conduct such testing must comply with the testing program guidelines of Maine's Substance Use Testing law. See Drug and Alcohol Testing.
- The Workplace Smoking Act prohibits smoking in all indoor areas, and outdoors except in designated smoking areas. See Smoking.
- A "No Smoking" sign is not required. However, an employer must post its smoking policy. See Postings.
- Employers are required to have a smoking policy. See Smoking Policies.